Pursuing the Good, the True, and the Beautiful Together
Information for Prospective Teachers
Founders Classical Academy of Leander is a public charter school in Leander, Texas, operated by Responsive Education Solutions and part of Hillsdale College's Barney Charter School Initiative. The school opened in the Fall of 2014 with grades K-10th, and now serves students in grades K-12.
The mission of Founders Classical Academy is to train the minds and improve the hearts of young men and women through a rigorous, classical education in the liberal arts and sciences, with instruction in good character and civic virtue.
The Grammar School (Kindergarten-6th Grade) curriculum focuses on a solid language arts core, comprised of explicit phonics, handwriting, and grammar, as well as Singapore math and the content-rich Core Knowledge curriculum. The classroom is traditionally structured and teachers provide direct instruction.
The Upper School (7th-12th Grade) curriculum instruction focuses on clear and effective written and oral communication. Students read and discuss whole books, study primary sources, prove geometric theorems, and engage in deep scientific investigations. To graduate, all seniors must write a senior thesis and deliver and defend it orally in front of fellow students, members of the faculty, and the Headmaster.
Teachers are hired based upon their moral and intellectual seriousness and dedication to the craft of teaching. All teachers must be “highly-qualified.” Certification for teachers is neither required nor preferred.
Applicants for positions in the Grammar School (Kindergarten-6th Grade) should have a broad liberal arts background. Applicants for positions in the Upper School (7th-12th Grade) should have an academic specialty in the subject to be taught. Preference will be given to candidates with an advanced academic degree.
All teachers at Founders Classical Academy are responsible for the intellectual and moral atmosphere of the school. As such, candidates should:
- be well-organized
- be able to communicate professionally with families
- exhibit intellectual curiosity
- use precise, edifying, and moderate speech
- contribute to a collegial faculty across the school
Living and Working in Austin, Texas
Founders Classical Academy of Leander is 25 minutes north of Austin, Texas. Austin has been ranked among the best cities in the United States for young professionals and families by a number of publications.
- The Friendliest and Unfriendliest Cities in the U.S. (Conde Nast Traveler, July 2013)
- Austin, San Jose and Washington are the best places for young adults (The Business Journals, March 2013)
- Number-one Best City for the Next Decade (Kiplinger, July 2010)
- Online Visitors Guide for Everything in Austin, Texas
- Travelers Today – Best Places To Live
- Austin American-Statesman – Best Places To Live
- US News Best Places Ranking